Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Venting...

Sorry I haven't written in a while, but I've been tangled up in the web that is "the job search." I have been lucky enough to go on several interviews for several different jobs, but so far, nothing has been "the perfect fit." Am I absolutely nuts for wanting perfection, especially in "these economic times??" Sorry for all the quotes, but I am getting so frustrated!!!

Major gripe numero uno of my job search thus far...PEOPLE NOT GETTING BACK TO YOU!! Lately I have noticed the striking similarities between the interview process and the dating process. You go on that first interview (first date) and feel each other out. You may think it went really well and they may think otherwise or vice versa. Either way, it usually ends with those three little words..."I'll call you." Why, oh why do people say they are going to call and then make me sleep with my phone under my pillow waiting for said call?? Thank you to all those people who did get back to me, whether it was good news or bad...but for those of you that simply never called, never responded to my follow-up emails, etc...shame on you! One extremely well-known PR firm in particular whose name I won't mention but who really should know better promised to call me "either way"...I'm still waiting...

My other issue is that maybe I am living in a dream world, and not factoring in the whole economic meltdown, but I think there is a certain amount that is needed to live and work in Manhattan. How some positions can expect their employees to live off what they are offering is unreal to me...I mean, I totally get that times are tough, but rent is still rent and bills are still bills. Not all of us have a trust fund or some big savings account to fall back on. I think you get what you pay for and if someone is not willing to pay for talent and experience than they are not are not being realistic about what they can expect from a potential employee.

Am I being crazy for not refusing to settle?? I definitely want a job that I will love and be excited to go to everyday...I am totally willing to prove my worth, and I have always been willing to pay my dues. Life usually throws me opportunities at the randomest times, and most of the choices I have made and chances I have taken have proved worth it in the end. I'm sure whatever I end up doing next will be no exception. Until then, I'll keep on writing, keep on truckin' and keep on dreamin'!

No comments: