Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A little perspective...

Sometimes the right atmosphere can really put things in perspective...Some acoustic, soul-searching tunes, a little coffee and some creative vibes makes things suddenly seem OK...at least for now...

I realize more and more that I don't always follow the norm and that sometimes my idea of a great life is different than the typical American Dream. Sure, I want to be rich, who doesn't, but I want my riches to come from chasing my dreams and pursuing my passions, from leading a creative, adventurous and fulfilling life and from making a difference in the world at least in some small way. I don't want a cushy, high paying office job and I would be very happy to donate all my pinstripe suits to goodwill tomorrow.

I realize it's a little naive to think that I can make it without a "real job" right now. I know that my secret dream of being discovered and paid well to blog and twitter all-day long or to write a book is pretty far-fetched, but I'm hoping that this time to reflect will lead me to the life I have always pictured for myself. I am learning to be OK with waiting, I think I have slowly developed patience, which is a virtue I definitely didn't have until recently. I know that one day I will have my perfect Manhattan address, a jam packed social schedule, a creative job and a nice paycheck.

I would call my current state one of both peace and transition. I am enjoying the extra time with loved ones, the days free to read, write and learn and I'm trying not to take anything too seriously. I just read a blog post by a woman who quit her job after eight years to give herself one year to make it as a writer. It was really inspiring and also comforting. I figure if she can take that risk than I should look at my temporary unemployment as a gift and an opportunity. Some may call me a dreamer, but I think my day will come. Until then, I think I am doing all the right things and I am not going to let this setback change who I am and how I live.

No comments: