Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Stuff to do to keep your sanity...

People are always telling me to enjoy my temporary unemployment and do all the things I've always wanted to do but didn't have time for. Unfortunately without a steady paycheck most of these things are not actually do-able (for example, my yet to be taken trip to Central America) but these people do have a point. I know I should be using my time wisely because I plan on working, at least in some form, for the next 50 years or so.

Some days I think sleeping late, watching Ellen and reading the newspaper is a wisely spent day, but lately I have been really trying to fill my time with meaningful activities or at least I plan to from today on! Hopefully my free days are limited as I have some hopeful opportunities brewing...(fingers AND toes crossed!)

In no particular order, here are some things I have been doing/plan on doing/recommend doing until your back among the employed:

1)Drink coffee--especially at random spots. Since I have been laid off, drinking coffee has become more of an activity than something I just do at my desk as a quick way to fuel up before a hard day's work. I now have the time to leisurely sip coffee at relaxing/cool places such as coffee houses, parks, etc. Plus coffee is pretty cheap so it's a great time-passer for the unemployed. Tea works too :)

2)Read a lot. I have always loved to read but was usually too tired/burnt out to read leisure books. One of the first things I did when I got laid off was head over to Border's and pick up a few good books to get lost in.

3)Get organized. Make to-do lists, clean out your closets, organize photos, music, etc. It costs nothing, makes you feel motivated and is something you will NEVER have time for once you go back to work.

4)Visit museums, art galleries etc. I keep saying I am going to do this. I don't really know why I haven't yet, it seems like a lovely idea. I'll let you know when I finally cross this one off my t0-do list!

5) Get in shape. Again, this is one that I have SAID I am going to do, but have only taken very small steps in actually doing. I bought a new arm band for my ipod, dug out my spandex and Nike's and plotted all the scenic places I will run. I've only actually gone like 3 times but as the weather gets warmer I promise to go more!

If I am still unemployed in the summer, I will add a number 6, spend every free moment at the beach, but here's hoping that I'll be blissfully trapped in an office this summer dreaming of my weekends on Fire Island :)

Anyone have anything else to add to my list?

1 comment:

Derek said...

6) Road trip up to Newport to join your old friend Derek for a cocktail or 2 in celebration of having completed his second semester of grad school.
7) Spend a few days at the beaches drinking coronas and getting tan.
8) Search the state of Rhode Island for the mythical Spy Bus that has been known to frequent the area.
9) Explain to me how and when exactly you became hip with sites such as digg and twitter.
10) Call me slacker