Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

The Great Debate...


Since I've moved to NYC, there are a lot of things I have grown to accept. Coming from growing up in the 'burbs and then spending most of my adult life living in quaint little beach towns, I've definitely had to make a few "adjustments." I get my groceries (and laundry, and breakfast, and occasionally beer) delivered, I pay $12 for a drink and think it's normal (or I pay $7 for a drink and think it's a steal) and I've even gotten use to the whole subway and cabbing it everywhere thing. One thing that I am still holding onto however is my belief that people shouldn't wear bathing suits where there is nowhere to actually bathe. For example, Central Park. Or a Yankee Game. Or a blacktop roof. You get the idea...

Thing is, NY'ers seem to think this is totally normally, and actually where bathing suits were meant to be worn. Have they never seen the ocean? Do they not know that glorious beaches exist a mere train ride away?

I'm not shy at all about wearing a bathing suit in public, it's just that the reason I wear
a bathing suit is because at some point while wearing it, I plan to get wet! As much as I love Central Park, there is just no chance of this happening unless you buy a bottle of water from the sketchy men selling it out of their backpacks and shopping bags and proceed to dump it over your head...

Today however, as I enjoyed an absolutely gorgeous day at the park (donning jean shorts and a black tank top) I felt for the first time like maybe I was the crazy one. As I entered the gates of Sheep's Meadow, I instantly felt overdressed as I saw a sea of shirtless men playing Frisbee and ladies bearing all in their skimpy bikinis, oiled up and everything. Could it be that I'm wrong?

I just can't decide so I need your help!

Please let me know in the comments if you sunbathe in your swimsuit in the park (or really any public place that ISN'T a beach or pool!). If the majority says it's totally cool, I promise to make (and document!) a bikini-clad trip there very soon!

No comments: