Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Until I'm invited, I'm boycotting the Oscars!

There are certain TV events that as an informed citizen who likes to keep up on current events, I feel it is my duty to watch. Obviously the Oscars (along with the Grammy's, the Superbowl and the season finale of American Idol) is one of them.

So last night, I settled in for a night of red carpet delight. If I'm being brutally honest here, I found it dull. Boring, dull and just not worth my time. Sorry Hollywood. Sure I liked watching the red carpet interviews along with the mandatory and oh so stimulating "reporting" that consisted of the same two questions over and over. "Who are you wearing?!" and "Whose your date?" Umm, can't you think of anything else??

The awards ceremony started and I did enjoy Hugh Jackman's opening skit, it was creative and funny and I thought it might be a good show after all. But no, it was boring and not worth all the hype in my opinion. I could have just as easily found out the winners via Twitter, which I did towards the end of the show when my boyfriend couldn't handle it anymore and switched to ESPN. At least on Twitter, each award and presenter was described with snarky commentary and made it much more interesting!

Also, I saw all these news stories prior to the Oscars about how celebs were going to "tone it down" and not flash their diamonds and pearls to all the unemployed, homeless people who were watching the Oscars on their rabbit ear TV's and eating Ramen Noodles. Maybe I missed something but no one seemed too dressed down to me. I especially thought Angelina Jolie's Emeralds said "these are tough times."

Sure, if I was sipping on some Moet and watching the Oscars from some fabulous Hollywood soiree, it may have been entertaining, but until someone personally invites me to the awards, or at least a really good party, I think I'll make it a Blockbuster night next year.

No comments: